December 3, 2016 – January 21, 2017
View specific dates for your area.
Dates: November 9, 2016 – November 22, 2016
Registration fee: $50 per team
- Teams are led by at least ONE (1) team sponsor and are composed of at most FOUR (4) students. Students are not allowed to participate on more than one team.
- The team sponsor must be a TCEA member.
- All teams are required to have a team name that meets common school standards.
- Only registered students are allowed to touch the robot and the computer used to program it. The only exception is when technical problems with the computer occur. Live student problem solving is the spirit of this competition.
- Only registered students will be allowed in the team’s work /competition area.
- Teams must designate one (1) student member to be the TEAM CAPTAIN. The team captain is the only person from a team who can review and/or initial score sheets or dispute field setup with the referees.
- Students in third grade and below cannot compete in TCEA contests.
- Students in grades 4-8 may compete in either Intermediate- or Advanced- level competition.
- Students in grades 9-12 may ONLY compete in Advanced-level competition.
- Teams must compete in their designated Area unless there are not enough teams in that Area to hold a contest. Contact your Area Director with questions.
- For the Area contests, each school may enter no more than four (4) teams per category without special permission from the Area Director. If space is available, the Area Director may allow schools to register more than four (4) teams.
- A maximum of two (2) Arena and/or Inventions teams from each school in each grade level division may advance to the State Competition.
- Wildcard teams will be selected for remaining spaces at the State Competition. Wildcard teams are selected by comparing all Area results. The top scorers who did not place first or second at the Area contests will receive invitations (depending on the number of spaces available).
- No more than two wildcard teams per category from each Area can advance to the State Competition.
- Schools, not individual team members, qualify for the State Competition. The decisions about which individuals comprise the team at the State Competition is the decision of the team sponsor and the school’s principal.
- NO late or onsite registrations will be allowed at the Area or State Contests.
- Every effort to provide wireless Internet access will be made, but it cannot be guaranteed; please plan accordingly.
- Laser pointers are NOT allowed at contests.
- Before and after each contest, students will carry heavy equipment in and out of the contest arena. Sponsors and parents will not be allowed in the contest arena except during designated viewing times.
- During the competition, students may not communicate with anyone except other registered students and competition staff; all forms of communication are prohibited, including, but not limited to, live and electronic communication (talking, texting, videos, etc.). Students should request assistance from competition staff if any communication with parents or sponsors is necessary.
- If students communicate with parents or sponsors in violation of this rule, or if they are caught using any communications devices, the team may be disqualified and asked to leave the competition.
Policy for Changes and Cancellations
TCEA accepts American Express, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, checks, and school purchase orders (POs) for payment. Purchase orders must include the following information: registrants’ names, a breakdown of coverage, a dollar amount for each item, and a total amount for the purchase order.
Payment or purchase order must be received by the date of the contest.
Cancellations must be made in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than five days before the contest. Cancellations received by the deadline will receive a full refund. Cancellations received after the deadline, but before the contest, will receive a refund, less a $25 cancellation fee. After the event has taken place, no refunds will be given.
If you registered with a purchase order, your purchase order will be charged the cancellation fee. Refunds will be processed after the event has taken place.
Changes to Registration
Changes in registration (i.e. adding or dropping students) may only be made via email to email@example.com. The email must include the sponsor’s name and a list of items to be changed. A confirmation email will be sent to the registrant once changes are made.
Regardless of the situation, it is the responsibility of the individual registrant to pay any balance that was not paid for by the employer, including cancellation charges.
Send registration payments and purchase orders to:
Fax: 512 476 8574
P.O. Box 18507
Austin, Texas 78760
Physical Address (for overnight payments)
3100 Alvin Devane
Austin, Texas 78741